Every day, wonderful things happen on this planet. And every day, tragedies happen. We can't stop either one. But we often have the opportunity to make a difference, even if it's a small one. Here's a chance for me -- and by extension, a chance for you -- to make one small difference.
A small private plane crashed in Utah on August 16, 2008, seriously injuring a young married couple. They're both in the hospital (and will be for quite some time). Their four small children are with relatives for the moment. Their medical bills will be HUGE. You can read more about the Nie family here. Click on the "about Nie" link on the banner to read what happened.
Here's the helping part. Across the Internet, auctions are being held to benefit the Nie family. For my silent auction contribution, I'm offering a Japanese "Sweetness" (and more!) package, shipped directly to you from Sasebo, Japan (click on each photo for a larger image.) Included in the package will be:
- A small Hello Kitty plushie for a keychain or for hanging from a schoolbag or handbag -- she's dressed in a panda bear costume and holds a pink heart
- Two boxes of Pocky (chocolate and strawberry-dipped cookie/pretzel sticks)
- One box of Toppo (thin cookie sticks filled with green tea cheesecake cream)
- Panda bear cookies with white and milk chocolate
- A smll bottle of shoyu, aka soy sauce, especially for sashimi/sushi (this ain't Kikkoman's!)
- A packe of toasted white sesame seeds, great for baking, or for grinding over noodles
- A packet of toasted black sesame seeds, ditto
- Spicy rice crackers with peanuts
- Lychee hard candies (with a magic "cool" center!)
- Green tea hard candies
- Peach hard candies
- A box of "do it yourself fondant", with four colored soft candies and a little wooden tool so you (or your kids) can make adorable shapes and squeal at all the cuteness before eating it all up (this is not a cake decorating kit, it's an interactive candy)
- An oshibori (handcloth) to pack with any bento or lunchbox (moisten the cloth, tuck it in the little carrying case, use it to wipe hands before lunchtime -- much better for the environment than paper napkins or wet-wipes!)
- The most darling little bear heads, used to protect and decorate cherry tomatoes, hard-boiled eggs, whatever you want to cute-i-fy in your lunch!
- SPECIAL BONUS! I will select and include a small, two-tiered bento box, perfect for lunch for you or your child! The winning bidder will be able to choose from plain (green, pink, blue, silver, black, faux wood), decorated (bunnies, flowers, bees, etc.) or character (Dragonball-Z, Hello Kitty, Cinnamaroll, etc.)
- Retail value of the package: approximately $40-60, depending on the bento box selected -- bidding to begin at $20
I'm hoping people are in a public radio mindset. Like when you hear the NPR commentators say: "pledge your membership of only $75.00 and we'll send you this canvas tote bag with our logo on it." You know the tote bag is worth maybe $5. But it's not about that. You're looking for a way to be generous and supportive. And the tote bag is just a bonus.
Please visit DesignMom's site for more auctions!
How this silent auction works:
- Please place your bid by leaving a comment with your bid amount in the comments section. Check the comments to see the most recent high bid.
- Following the close of the auction,
- I will contact the winner (make sure your comment bid includes an e-mail address or link to your blog or some way to contact you).
- The winner will pay the amount of their winning bid to the Stephanie and Christian PayPal account.
- The winner will then forward the PayPal receipt to me at email@example.com.
- I will send your package (I'll pay the postage!)